In this article, learn how to recover a hacked yahoo account in simple steps. We all know your mail contains sensitive information like contacts, important information, professional and personal emails, banking information and many more. This information needs to be secured with care.
Yahoo provides high security for its users, but under certain circumstances, users yahoo account get hacked and the user is not able to operate the yahoo mail account.
How to know my yahoo account has been hacked?
Here are some of the points you have to look for if you think that your yahoo account has been hacked. They are:
- If you are receiving a lot of spam emails or your contacts are receiving spam emails from your email account.
- If you are not able to receive any emails.
- You need to check the recent activity page. Here you can see the list of the devices in which your email is logged in. You can also check the locations in which your email id is logged in recently.
- If your yahoo account settings or password has been changed.
Note: If you found any suspicious activity on your yahoo account then it is recommended to change your yahoo password as soon as possible.
Possible Reasons for Yahoo Account Get Compromised
Here is the list of the possible reasons due to which your yahoo account get compromised. They are:
- Using the same old password or using the password you use for any other account.
- Knowingly or unknowingly shared your password with anyone.
- Setting up weak or easy to guess password.
- Using your yahoo account on an unsecured network.
- Someone used your computer system and hacked your email address.
- You may have clicked a link through which someone gets access to your email id.
Note: It is recommended to choose a strong password for your yahoo account. It should be a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, special characters and numbers.
How to Recover Hacked Yahoo Mail?
Follow the steps to recover hacked Yahoo mail. They are:
- Visit yahoo home page
- Click on the sign-in option
- Enter your email id or phone number associated with the yahoo account.
- Click on the forget password
- Now select the account recovery option ( email id or phone number ) associated with the account.
- After selecting the verification method, the user will receive a verification link on their mail.
- Enter the verification code on the given field.
- Click on verify.
- Now, yahoo will confirm your identity. Once yahoo confirms your identity you will be redirected to the next page.
- Now set your new password. Make sure to choose a strong password for your account.
Recovery Methods Not Working for Hacked Yahoo Account
Even after entering the above-given steps, the user is not able to recover the hacked yahoo account. In this case, someone has changed the yahoo recovery options and password. In this situation, it is recommended to contact yahoo customer support for help.
What to do After Recovering Yahoo Account?
If you have recovered your yahoo account then it is recommended to use two-step verification on your yahoo account so that your yahoo account does not get compromised in the future.
Here are the steps user needs to follow to activate two-step verification. They are:
- Open yahoo homepage
- Log in to your yahoo account
- Now, select account information
- Select the account recovery option.
- You will be asked to enter the password again to access the security page.
- Select the two-step security option.
- Now, users have to confirm their phone number associated with the account.
- Users will receive a pin by SMS on their phone number.
- Enter the pin and click ok.
How to Keep My Yahoo Account Safe?
Here are some of the useful tips through which you can always keep your yahoo account safe. They are:
Use only personal network: It is recommended to use a personal network. Using yahoo mail on public wifi and unsecured network can lead to the yahoo account hacking.
Do not open the Suspicious link: If you find suspicious mail then it is recommended not to click on the mail or any link on the mail.
Do not share credentials with anyone: Remember, it is your mail-id. It is highly recommended not to share your yahoo credentials with anyone.
Do not share OTP or verification code with anyone: If someone asks you for any kind of OPT or verification code then do not share it with anyone. Through that verification code, anyone can change your yahoo mail password.
In this article, we have discussed the possible reason due to which yahoo account get hacked and how to recover hacked yahoo account. Even if you are facing any issue in recovering a hacked yahoo account then you can contact yahoo support for help.
You can also read more articles about yahoo. They are: